Sunday, July 24, 2011

Interview with Celebrity Publicist/Manager Soulgee McQueen


Interviewer: Sparkle Callahan

Guest: Soulgee Mcqueen Celebrity Publicist/manager
Company: Mc Queen media Entertainment


Sparkle: Thank you for allowing me to interview you about the topic “Negotiation” within the entertainment industry.

Soulgee: Your welcome!

Sparkle: When negotiating a deal for your clients how do you separate the people from the problem? In other words how do you contain your emotions when it seems you may not be getting all you may expect for your client?

Soulgee:  My first approach when negotiating during meetings with different industry professionals is breaking the ice with them. Breaking the ice with them causes everyone to get comfortable. I may start out with talking about something we all have in common besides the project at hand. My emotions will never be involved because my main focus is atleast to walk away with something more than what I came in with. Emotions affect many negotiating deals because of unrealistic expectations that are set. Go into these meetings with an open mind to get an understanding and hear different point of views.

Sparkle: In every meeting do you obtain mutual benefits when negotiating for your client?

Soulgee: Honestly speaking some projects require more than one meeting, but the best thing about that is, when you have 2 or 3 meetings about the same client project you can almost guarantee there is some interest from the other party. The mutual benefit in this case for me would be I had more than one meeting, and now I have new ideas to pitch. Most times with new talent I see a situation such as this as a mutual benefit. In this circumstance it is considered mutual benefits because we both have a shared interest in regard to the same new client.

Sparkle: When representing new talent does their status of being a new artist have an affect on your negotiation approach?

Soulgee: I’m very well known in the industry for breaking and representing new talent. When negotiating new talent to music labels I have to present all their accomplishments thus far. I have to sell them to the labels and be confident of the great success they can produce. But, because I been in the entertainment business for quite sometime now most labels show interest because of my experience. New talent is most times the best talent to break because of their new status. In my experiences I found breaking new artist much easier than mainstream artist.

Sparkle: Thank you again for taking the time to sit and converse with me.

Soulgee: Your very welcome!


Posted By: Sparkle Callahan



No comments:

Post a Comment