Sunday, November 20, 2011

Sports Talk SHow Host Devan Wade Interview


It is a blessing and very inspiring when your able to connect and network with someone in your same career interest. I had the opportunity to interview Devan Wade, which is a sports talk show host in Houston, TX.
Devan Wade was very cooperative and inspiring when I asked him for an interview. His words of inspiration were “ I love to share and help others, especially Afro Americans who are ambitious.” Once I heard this I was very excited and knew I made the right selection because as an aspiring sports agent every little encouragement helps.
         Devan Wade has been a talk show host since 1992 and has had the opportunity of interviewing sports professionals, entertainment professionals and politicians. He was employed with The Houston Informer as a freelance editor for many years. The Houston Informer newspaper is the oldest African American newspaper west of Mississippi. Currently, Devan Wade is a talk show host for radio station KTSU in Houston, Tx and his show is titled “The Friday Express.”
         During my Interview with Devan Wade I was very interested in the following questions:
1. As a talk show host what kind of athletes do you mostly interview?

Devan: “I Work with retired athletes in Houston most with notoriety, such as NFL players and pro athletes and NBA players from all major sports. Most of the time I will set up my own interviews with folks from media relationships I have built over the years. Also, through personal relationships such as PR people. I interview athletes mostly when they are promoting something. Also some of the interviews come through the organization. For instance, like through their team or through their facility. I get many interviews during the athlete off-season because they come to promote their charity foundations or upcoming events.”

2. Which kind of athlete do you enjoy interviewing most?

Devan: “Honestly, it’s not much different. But, football players are most guarded, more relaxed, I’m not sure if it’s part of their contracts or what. But they are the easiest. I don’t have a real preference, but mainly concerned about what topic I choose to speak about. Houston is more football base, which allows me to focus more on football athletes and stories.”

3. Which athlete was the most exciting to interview?

Devan: “Most exciting interview I have had was with legendary former football player Jim Brown. He was entering into a lot of social things in the 60’s and broke a lot of barriers. He was the first leading black man to have a love interest for a white woman in the movie titled “Hundred Rifle.” I interviewed him a couple of years ago and he has a successful foundation called “Imerican I can.” We Sat for an hour and talked about sports and social issues as well, and the changes within the African American culture. This was my most exciting interview to date.”


4. What were some of the steps a soccer player took in becoming a successful soccer player?

Devan: “The Houston dynamo playing David Beckham and the La Galaxy is very successful. I have not spoken to any Soccer players. But, I spoke with the Soccer team president. My audience is not big in soccer, But Oliver luck I had the privilege of sitting down with. His excitement about bringing professional soccer to the city of Houston was our main discussion. The team which is currently in Houston called the “Dynamo” Oliver Luck was a big influence in bringing the team to Houston”


5. What and which athlete interview was your most heartfelt & memorable moment?

Devan: “My most heartfelt interview was with former boxer Gerald McClellan. He was a champion and he fought in London. He almost died because of severe injuries and became very sick due to brain damage. I spoke with him briefly between his sister and himself because sometimes he would forget or take a long time to speak. He had to raise a foundation for his kids, and many people in boxing forgot about him. It’s memorable as well because I always wanted to get in contact with Joe Frazier for an interview. But, I was not able to make that happen. I have interviewed Floyd Mayweather and I’m excited and waiting to see him fight boxer “Paqchioa”. I bring these boxers up because I had the privilege of interviewing Gerald. But, not Joe Frazier and I can say that I have covered the current major most relevant boxers interviews.”


Name: Sparkle Callahan

Interviewee: Devan Wade

Title: Host of Sports Talk

Twitter: @wadeword

Company: Host of KTSU's The Friday Express Houston Native
Contact info: KTSU 3100 Clebourne, Houston, Tx 77004
Ph: 713 313-7591 Fax: 713 313-7479




No comments:

Post a Comment